Sunday, May 15, 2016

3 Free Things To Do in Melbourne

Even though I was more than willing to spend all of my money on experiencing Melbourne to the fullest I knew that I wouldn't last long with that mindset. So, to help you avoid going broke, I've put together a list of three places to go while visiting Melbourne that are completely FREE. You're welcome. 

1. Melbourne Library

Melbourne Library's Reading Room
I went for the reading room, but was drawn back again for the exhibits. I'd heard about Melbourne's library with it BEAUTIFUL reading room, my photo does not do it justice, but I was not told of the amazing exhibits located on multiple floors of the library. The library is also in the free tram limits so if you stay at Melbourne Metro YHA, like I did, then even getting there would be free!

My favorite piece, Melbourne's old and new trams in front of the Flinders Street Station

2. Shrine of Remembrance

The Shrine of Remembrance
I thought I knew where I was going when I left North Melbourne for the Shrine of Remembrance, but I had no idea where I'd end up. When I stumbled upon this glorious place I had the honor of watching a brief demonstration of their annual Ray of Light ceremony, honestly I teared up a little bit. It is a beautiful place made to honor the Victorian lives lost during World War I and all of those who have fought since then. It is truly an honor to witness and I highly suggest putting it at the top of your list. 
  
 3. Botanical Garden

Entering the Royal Botanical Gardens in Melbourne

One of the best things I did was walk through the Royal Botanical Gardens. It was a beautiful day and a great opportunity to spend someone time alone (shout out to all of my solo travelers!) and enjoy my surroundings. This is a great place to flee the hustle and bustle of the city, take your lunch or a good book and enjoy the great outdoors for a couple of hours. You don't want to miss this on a sunny day, trust me.

Safe travels,
Cirrena

No comments:

Post a Comment